Lighthouses - Gulf Coast Mississippi
History of Gulfcoast Lighthouses and Islands
For More Info Click:
Visit our Photo Gallery below
The first mainland Mississippi lighthouse was constructed at Pass Christian in 1831– simultaneous with a similar light tower placed at Cat Island. These beacons were necessary to aid schooner traffic between New Orleans and Mobile – to make tourist stops at the antebellum hotels of Bay St. Louis, Pass Christian, Biloxi, Ocean Springs and Pascagoula.
The Biloxi Lighthouse, constructed of cast iron in 1848, continues to stand tall on U.S. Hwy. 90 at the beach front.